Friday, July 27, 2007

Random thoughts on psychology and the 13 hour conversation

“When Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud met for the first time they talked for 13 hours straight, and Jung thought Freud was too obsessed with sex, and Freud thought Jung was too obsessed with God.” (From The Writer’s Almanac for Thursday July 26, 2007)
When I meet someone new (eg. people like "y" or "e") I fear or expect that they will think I am too obsessed with God, and I fear or expect I will think them too obsessed with sex. It's not reality of course, but there is enough correlation that when I read this quote it felt familiar.

I adore that these two psychologists talked so long like this. I like knowing that they both thought about the other’s obsession. I crave a 13 hour-long conversation like I imagine they had. I know crazy. I do though, especially one that hits on psychology, religion, God, and sex. How long were they quiet. How did they "highly trained listeners" listen to each other? Or talk?

Speaking of psychology giants Albert Ellis died recently and I didn’t even realize it until now. He started rational emotive behavior therapy which helped birthed what's now called cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). CBT is not the arm of psychology that I would use in totality but I'm all about using multiple modes of therapy. Can you tell I am starting to think about school (which starts soon?)

One more thought on psychology. I'm still reading "The Developing Mind". There is so much in science and psychology that praises the mental health benefits of meditation. Last night I practiced meditation while looking at a candle. I watched my breath in and out gently letting all thoughts just be lightly observed and pass by. Normally it feels like my thoughts start downloading and start up a program in my head instead. A program that takes up all my memory capacity. Lightly or gently observing can't be over-rated. It helped! I slept better last night than I have in two weeks. I should really do that more often!

3 comments:

L said...

Hi,
I emailed you earlier this week but don't know if you received it. I too am a first time coming out lesbian. I was married for 13 years. I am thinking of going back to school to be a counselor. I would love to know how you like it, and how hard it is etc. Do you work while being in school? I have not found anyone with input yet and yours would be appreciated. We seem to have a lot in common.
Lori

L said...

oh, and my email is
chchanges@gmail.com if you want to email me.
Lori

titration said...

Wow I'm not sure why I didn't get it but thanks for sharing and commenting. I'll email back.