Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I think I need to quit my counselor

For school (my counseling degree) I am required to have a certain amount of sessions with a counselor. It makes total sense to me. And I figured I'd just continue once a month with a counselor I've met with before. Trouble is he thinks acting on homosexual attractions is sin. The attraction itself is not.

Before you freak out and say "why would a counselor say that to a client" at least he is very clear about how I need to know what I really think for myself. That this is only his opinion and has nothing to do with me. He thinks judgment in all it's forms is unhealthy and toxic so he doesn't judge and challenged me to tell him if I sense any judgment from him. He is not going to try and make me think a certain way.

Frankly I think that he should refer me. I am not sure if I'm mad at him for telling me his personal religious views on the topic because at least knowing what he really thinks I have some choice in the type of person I'm talking to.

All my posts on judgment and the church combine with what I've been taught from him on judgment. That all forms of judgment are toxic. You can still have a different opinion but if there is any judgment it needs to be rooted out. I'm so confused. Isn't an opinion in some ways a judgment? And how can he be truly objective when he believes it's sin? Is that possible? I suppose all counselors have to counsel people who do things they think are wrong and not judge them. It's really important for counselors to be as non-judgmental as possible. But then if it's just his opinion for him why in the hell did he tell me! I think I feel angry and somewhat bad about that. Or maybe frustrated that I have to deal with this. But I suppose counseling is the place to learn. And he won't be the first person to think differently than me.

O frick! And yes, although it takes me forever to change and transition I am moving towards quitting him. I just need to find a good healthy way to do it.

1 comment:

Zuzu said...

Definitely read "Wicked" first.. and then "Son of a Witch." Both are really fun.. you'll learn the whole back story of Elphaba in Wicked.. and it's quite fun. and it provides the context for all of Liir's ponderings.

I did that ennigram free simple short test.. what do you make of my scores.

Fire the bastard (okay, what I really mean by that is follow the dictates of your heart.)

In that other comment you'd said that perhaps I got waylaid by this idea of monogamy.. that I should ignore that. But in my mind it's not a waylay.. it's an assumption, a presumption, and in some (many?) ways an expansion (contraction) of the whole immodesty discussion. Just something to consider. Thought a great deal about a related topic on the ferry today.. if I have the gumption, perhaps I'll write it out in my blog.

Much love to you!

-Zu