Monday, January 29, 2007

The enneagram & Internal family system therapy

I went to a seminar a couple weekends ago which combined the enneagram (a personality test) and internal family system therapy. It was absolutely fascinating. It combined the personality types of the enneagram with the idea that we as people are BOTH/AND. Sometimes we feel more than one thing at once. eg. I want to risk take and learn to snowboard AND I am afraid I will break my leg. It also respected that different personalities respond differently to life. I found the seminar fruitful.


Afterwards I left with a bit more value for who I am as unique due to the enneagram. Previously I've really been sad about who the enneagram test says I am (even though it's true!). I also left with a stronger ability to value all the aspects, parts, systems in me that are sometimes contradictory. It's not like some weird multiple personality thing. It's valuing the both/ands of life that are everywhere we look. eg. I know I should work out AND part of my does not want to. :)

Here's a short summary of internal family systems: The IFS Model represents a new synthesis of two already existing paradigms: systems thinking and the multiplicity of the mind. It brings concepts and methods from the structural, strategic, narrative, and Bowenian schools of family therapy to the world of subpersonalities.

So what enneagram are you?

Here are the links:
http://www.internalfamilysystems.org/
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/

No comments: