Thursday, May 15, 2008

Who but me can tie the serenity prayer to a dream about frogs

In counseling the other day I listed many things which feel overwhelming to me right now to do with my future, figuring out how to make money and do internship, and general fears. My counselor said: We can't change those things. This is about "knowing what you can change, what you can't change." Or basically it's time to find that serenity prayer written by the theologian Reinhold Niebuhr in the 1930s or early 1940s.
Give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.
What can I change? We came up with two little things I can do regarding figuring out my internship. I do need courage to do them. They are so tiny. But it doesn't matter how easy they are. Taking the next step to figure out my future is scary.

And this is where frogs come in. I had this dream the other night that I was trying to go somewhere but baby frogs covered the entire ground. I couldn't step anywhere because if I did I would smash a baby frog. Why didn't I pick them up and move them? No idea. That was one thing I could have changed. I was scared of them perhaps?

Eventually I will have to pick them up or take a step or something. I can't stand on one leg making no decisions forever. So here's to acceptance of things I can't change, and courage to pick up baby frogs and move them.

In the meantime I will ponder this psyBlog post I dig titled: 13 ways to improve your decision making! Which I suppose is similar to studing the frogs before I pick them up. :)

No comments: