Sunday, December 2, 2007

The choir sang "Seasons of Love" from Rent today at church



Today I had one of those moments that I thought I would never see in church, the choir sang the song "Seasons of Love" (from the musical Rent) as part of the church service. We also sang "O Come, O come Emanuel." Why I think this is fantastic I don't know. I liked everything about church today. I liked the music, the sermon, the people I sat with, that cute lesbian family with the four kids that sat in front of me again (previous blog post), that a lesbian couple lit the advent candles (I have never seen that in church!) the prayers and everything. The sermons was about Genesis 38 and how even people you wouldn't expect to be apart of Jesus' linage are part of the family tree. I knew that there are so many messy people in Jesus' family line who led up to his birth, however it was so clear to me today how you don't have to be worthy or perfect or anything to be included. One of the quotes on the bulliten that was fun was:
If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you might as well make it dance. -George Bernard Shaw
Here's one of the prayers we said today as well. I really like it and wanted to make note of it because Advent is symbolically about waiting. And I did wait for the right time to discover who I am and now I am waiting to discover what next.
You keep us waiting. You, the God of all time, want us to wait for the right time to discover--who we are, where we are to go, who will be with us, and what we must do. So thank you, for the waiting time. Give us ears to hear and hearts to listen, so that from the shadows of this season, our own lives might be illuminated. In the name of the one whom we long to see. Amen.

No comments: