Thursday, November 1, 2007

Day of the dead - All Saints Day

Alright back to my goal of blogging about things that are life giving, spacious, and sustaining. Coming out is hard. And "hard things" make me a bit myopic. Now that really is fine for a season. But sometimes I like to lean into other things that have nothing to do with me. I am not saying force myself to do or be something that I don't feel! But just simply lean in the direction of loving others and somehow in the process I feel a bit less self absorbed. :) Caring about others really can be therapeutic (but no you shouldn't use caring about others to make oneself feel better).

Today I had the chance to lean into community and how we all have hard times. It's all saints day (also Mexican day of the dead) and so there are people I know who have had loved ones die this year. We were to bring in pictures of people who have died to class today to talk about them. A very cool exercise for a family system class. And one woman's father had just died this year so sharing was really meaning for her and us as a class. I also read a blogger who is having a hard week this week. So I just went and gave her some blog love. Want to join me? Go comment on her post here or remember someone in your life who has had a death of a loved one.

I also emailed my parents telling them I brought a picture of my grandparents who have died to class.

Here was the litany of remembering we said in class:

In the rising of the sun and its going down. We remember them.
In the blowing of the wind and the chill of winter. We remember them.
In the opening of buds and in the warmth of summer. We remember them.
In the beginning of the year and when it ends. We remember them.
When we are weary and in need of strength. We remember them.
When we are lost and sick at heart. We remember them.
When we have joys we yearn to share. We remember them.
For as long as we live, they too shall live, for they are now a part of us. We remember them.
They shall live forever in the communion of the saints, in the arms of God.
We remember them.

No comments: