Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What the heck is a crush anyway?

Obviously I'm learning a ton, this week especially. So since I am not able yet to articulate what I'm learning this week I thought I'd go back to some earlier questions.

I just realized I throw around the word crush a lot. It's a catch all word for everyone and anyone I think is particularly lovely or I feel drawn towards more than a normal friendship. Which by that very unhelpful definition I've had a crush on about five people this year. Maybe I should call them mini-crushes or admire-ations. I've also been thinking if my crushes follow a pattern does that mean they are more real or less real? eg. I've had crushes on a lot of women who have studied theology in my lifetime. So therefore do I not really like them? Did that mean I only liked the fact that they are women and study theology?

And why is everyone looking so darn great lately. Saw two old crushes last week. Both walking down the street while I was driving past. People in this world are really quite spectacular. I think this is the first year of my life I am just letting myself think people are amazing in this way. Usually I shut it down.

Edited - because I found more books on all this. And a really fascinating wikipedia article.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in college, I had a friend who called those "crushes" intrigue-tions. Take your pick on spelling. I just always liked the sound of it, and it made it feel more "grown up" than a crush. Not that it really matters - I love to celebrate the junior high giddy feelings that come along with love and lust and liking too!

-t

titration said...

I like that... :)