Thursday, April 5, 2007

An instant message date?

Last night I had set up a time to instant message a girl. My friend "b" said why IM when you can call. Well, I guess it's because it's less stressful to IM a new person. That's what two "new friends" have said at least.

I think I agree. The first person IMed was two or three months ago. She freaked me out a bit when in the first ten minutes of IMing she dedicated a song to me. I was just asking her what music she liked. It may have been a little cute if she hadn't been both cryptic and coming on strong to me. That combination didn't work so well.

Tonight was much different!

We were online for almost 3 hours. Although not IMing the entire time. It was fun and we have a lot in common. We both care about issues of race and ethnicity, sexuality, faith, poetry, writing. I had a lot of fun. Also we talked about a student she knows struggling with cutting. So I was able to email her some resources about cutting.

During this the atmosphere was great, because "b" and i were sitting in a great coffee shop with brick walls. I was eating a fabulous almond croissant at the time and of course drinking coffee. So it felt like an actual event.

I now have two friends out of this whole online thing. And one more person who says she's going to email. Woo hoo for new friends and IM dates.

1 comment:

M said...

Thank you for your comment. I love encouragement. :)