Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Conversation about the churches civil war on homosexuality

This is the conversation I had a day ago when I ran into the second person in charge in my denomination. I thought it was interesting.

Him: So what are you reading?

Me:
Do you really want to know?

Him:
Yes, I really want to know.

Me:
I'm reading "A time to embrace. Same gender relationships in religion, law, and politics"

Him:
Really? Can you say the second part of that title again?

Me:
I say it... He looks a bit more intrigued with me than usual... Then I say.... It's really interesting. So far the beginning talks about how in the church homosexuality has the faith community locked in a wrestling match and there is no movement. It's a stalemate.

Him:
Yeah, I just read in the New York Times an article where they referred to it as having characteristics of the Civil War. We went on about this for a minute....

Then he said. That is very, very impressive, looked at me again and went on his way. And I left thinking what a random and curious conversation to have with the second in charge of this church of mine. Look for a review on this book down the road. I am really glad I bought it and I am learning a lot.

No comments: