Monday, December 25, 2006

Cutting and happiness?

Here's another post by a blogger on cutting. He has an interesting post called "There is no such thing as self hate". I'm still thinking about it. Here's the quote that caught my attention the most.

Blaise Pascal, one of the greatest thinkers of all time once said, All people seek happiness. This is without exception. Whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war, and of others avoiding it is the same desire in both, attended with a different view. The will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every person, even of those who hang themselves."

For me cutting I suppose was the pursuit of more happiness, in terms of escaping emotional pain by using physical pain. But happiness has never been my goal. Perhaps part of healing in general is to be willing to forgo happiness to face pain. And to have a goal that trumps happiness. My goals are many but for now, for today, it is to live my journey with integrity. (see integrity post).

If you cut or self harm find help. Start by reading this.

No comments: