Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thoughts on living simply

So I get it, the economy is bad. We need to live simply. It's good for us to be very careful with our money. The news is just depressing me a bit. And it's not that I want to buy stuff. It's more that I hear the news and feel the weight of it. Therefore I could relate to the reading from the book "Simple Abundance" for today. It's a book that's 10 years old now, but so perfect for this year of living in our country.

See if there are any little things of beauty you need today. A sunset, flowers, art that makes you happy, a good smelling candle, a nicely laid out meal...
I'd thought I had overcome the "buy me" syndrome. I enjoyed window shopping and did not feel diminished because I couldn't purchase something that captured my eye. Then I discovered a $45.00 lifestyle book crammed with pictures of things I love.... Angrily I returned it to the bookstore shelf, furious that I couldn't afford the book... All I had may very well have been all I needed, but it certainly wasn't all I wanted.

After several hours of churning, I stopped. Something was going on within; this emotional response was occurring for a reason. I meditated on what had pushed my buttons... The more I thought about it the more I realized I hadn't been paying attention to my passion for beauty... Beauty was calling to me, not objects. After I realized this, I headed for a farmers' market for flowers. But instead of one bouquet, i treated myself to two. When I set my lush arrangement of flowers in the living room, my authentic craving for beauty was satisfied very inexpensively and the wants immediately quieted down."
From the book Simple Abundance - A daybook of comfort and joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach

1 comment:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Wow, I needed to read this today! Great post. Great reminder that what I need is some quiet and some love. And very little else.