Sunday, March 2, 2008

I served communion for the first time since coming out!

I served communion at church today. Just thought I'd say so because in most christian churches having someone who is a lesbian serving communion would be absolutely not an option. Pastor Trey came over and asked me before the service started. I guess one of their normal servers was singing up front.

So me and my lovely Eucharist tattoo stood up there handing out pieces of bread saying "The body of Christ broken for you."

I thought about how I used to be chair of the deacon board at a large traditional church in my hood. And we coordinated and served communion often but I wasn't out and was still trying to fix myself then. I liked serving communion a ton. It's a big part of my story because of the whole cutting thing and feeling healed from that. So getting to serve communion was a super sweet thing. It was the first time I have done anything in the church at all since I have come out. Thank God some churches are open and accepting to people being and serving in church no matter their gender, race, or sexual orientation!

4 comments:

Casdok said...

Thats what churches should be!
Glad to hear yours is one of them.

Anonymous said...

How lovely! I am really happy for you...

Anonymous said...

Serving communion is one of my greatest joys at church. It's what makes it ok that I decided not to get ordained, because I still get to participate in this incredibly meaningful sacrament.

I just accepted the nomination to be the "liturgist coordinator" at my church which means I get to recruit people--just like you--to serve as liturgist (and communion server if they are liturgist on the first Sunday of the month). I'm hoping to be very intentional about having the people up front represent the diversity of our community--gay, straight, bi, male, female, trans, different races, different languages, different ability levels.

Wish me luck.
FreyaSings

Anonymous said...

Very heartening to know this... :)

Anj