Friday, February 29, 2008

A boy killed for asking someone to be his valentine!

It's a two post day because this morning I saw this story jj put on her blog and I got all teary. Did you hear about it? This boy Lawrence, 15, was killed by a 14 year old classmate, Brandon, for asking him to be his valentine? Arg. Stupid stupid stupid world!

Watch the video from the Ellen show below.


.....On the morning of Feb. 12, Lawrence was in the school’s computer lab with 24 other students, said Mr. Keith, the police spokesman. Brandon walked into the room with a gun and shot Lawrence in the head, the police said, then ran from the building. Police officers caught him a few blocks away.
Read it here in the New York Times story.

4 comments:

Casdok said...

I got teary too.
Stupid i dont think is a strong enough word.

Anonymous said...

The news of this tragedy has just reached me today. I am saddened to think that in 2008, we as a supposed civilized society have still not reached the point of tolerance for the differences of others. It is the "Rev." Fred Phelps types of this nation that continue to spew hatred and intolorence against gays. (I think Fred is a closet case, himself) The NY Times article is correct when it calls the shooter a victim as well. Most "straight" people just don't GET IT that being gay IS NOT A CHOICE or a LIFESTYLE. It is how a person is born. I am sure many feel as I do. I am shocked that this boy is now dead because something in the mind of his killer said "it is ok to kill someone who is gay". Sometimes, I am ashamed to be called a human being.. we can posess so much evil in our hearts.

Cheryl said...

So very sad.

Michael said...

I'm all teary :(