Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle Mini-reflection on her dying....

I have read most of what Madeleine L'Engle has written. (See her books here)Her poetry, her novels, and her non fiction, it's all pretty amazing. So I am sad that she has died and just want to make a note of it. (NY Times article on Madelein L'Engle)

Other people can write about her much better than I can. However, I will say that in many ways her books and thoughts on faith assisted me in holding myself and my faith with much more gentleness and spaciousness. She writes in a way that helps me think more clearly and with curiosity instead of investigation of what's wrong. I find it wonderful that often she does this in her fiction through analogy and in her non fiction through just describing basic things she's doing and thinking. I'm going to have to go back and read some of her books again!

These are my top 5 favorite Madeleine L'Engle books
1. Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art (Wheaton Literary Series)
2. The Arm of the Starfish (Laurel Leaf Books)
3. A Circle of Quiet
4. The Ordering of Love: The New and Collected Poems of Madeleine L'Engle
5. And of course A Wrinkle in Time

No comments: